Monday, June 24, 2013

Society of the Mind

society of the mind

You probably know that I read a lot, and regular followers will know that I am one of those dinosaurs who still read print on paper - no Nook or Kindle here, even though my own little novel is only available in electronic versions.

A couple times a year, when the pickings on the paperback racks are particularly slim, I’ll go back and read something I liked from previous years.  Right now, I’m rereading Society of the Mind by Eric L. Harry. 

Originally published in May of 1996, it was described as a Cyberthriller, a book having to do with the latest innovations in computing, robotics and virtual reality.  With all the innovations in the field, it is amazing that this book is as fresh, believable and up-to-date today as when it first appeared 17 years ago!

Like most good science fiction, and even more than most, this is not simply a sci-fi adventure.  Society is filled with thoughtful, well reasoned speculation on the nature of mind vs. brain, on sentience and the nature of humanity.  For those not into deep philosophical musings, there is still enough action to satisfy a die hard comic book fan.

The author, Eric Harry, is a Houston attorney who wrote four highly successful novels (the other three have to do with war and geopolitics)  but has not published anything since February, 2000.  According to his Wikipedia biography, he is still alive and practicing law. 

Why a writer so talented would write four books and just stop is a puzzle.  I wish I knew the answer.

Better yet, I wish I had book number five.

No comments:

Post a Comment