Sunday, February 24, 2013

No Keyboard – Press F1

keyboard error

OK, the picture is fuzzy and blurry, but it’s the best I can do. 

I pulled it from an on-line video on how to fix the problem just to prove that

  • I actually got this screen yesterday, and
  • It’s not all that uncommon

The message I got was only slightly different.  It said

KEYBOARD FAILURE

NO KEYBOARD CONNECTED

PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE

Uh, excuse me? 

Isn’t F1 on the keyboard? 

And pushing F1 on an unconnected keyboard is going to help how?????

I saw this screen when I first turned the computer on after the crash I mentioned in yesterday’s post had been corrected.  As near as I can tell, it occurred because the computer was looking for an old-style PS2 style keyboard, and our keyboard connects via a USB port.

I turned the pc off, double checked all the connections and turned it on again.  The message showed up again, but timed out after a while.  Then the computer continued its boot up sequence and after finding “new hardware” (the mouse and the keyboard) everything works fine.

Apparently, it is not always that easy.  That screen shot was from a video featuring a teenaged computer geek explaining what to do when it isn’t.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment