Sunday, January 13, 2013

Beginning to Love Firefox

firefoxLogo

Several years ago, I switched from Microsoft’s Internet Explorer to Google Chrome as my web browser, and I was very glad I did.  It was faster, less prone to attack, and I generally found it easier to use.

I had heard a lot of good things about Firefox, so when I set up our PC in the office, I decided to give it a try.  It worked great, so when I started having problems with Facebook on Chrome, I added Firefox on my laptop and have been using it there as well.

There were no issues at all for a few months, then two weeks ago Facebook began to fail.  By Thursday, it was almost unusable – the technical term is FUBAR.

First, the “see more” clicky on long posts quit working.  It would highlight when I placed my cursor over it, but clicking on it did nothing at all.  Then, I found that I could not access Facebook help for the problem.  I could get to a problem list, but when I clicked on “other” I hit a dead end.

Friday, I updated and ran several utilities – Malwarebytes, Glary Utilities, etc. (If you don’t have the two I listed, get them.  They are free, and solve a lot of problems.) but my problems still remained.  I even took my computer back to a restore point prior to when the problems appeared with no result.

I had just about decided to give up on Facebook entirely since I wasn’t having problems on any other site.  Then I found this at the top of the Firefox page:

add-ons

Clicking on Restart with Add-Ons Disabled gave me a choice of dumping all add-ons or first opening Firefox in Safe mode with all the add-ons disabled to see if that would fix the problem.  I did, and it did, so at that point I chose to remove all add-ons.

When I did, Mozilla created a desktop folder and dumped all the stuff being uninstalled in there in case I ever needed it, then took Firefox back to its pristine, just-installed condition.

Problem Solved!!!

And, as if that wasn’t enough, the next time I opened Firefox there was a note at the top of the webpage inviting me to discuss the problem/solution with Mozilla.  That is impressive service.

No comments:

Post a Comment