Friday, April 30, 2010

I Get All Mixed UP

A while back, my niece posted a note on Facebook about how much fun she and  her family had creating anagrams from their names. 

They are a very literate (and literary) family.  She and her husband are both published authors,  he teaches literature and their younger son names his pets after characters from the plays of Aeschylus for God’s sake; so I had visions of them around the dinner table with Scrabble tiles, legal pads and number 2 pencils. 

I couldn’t imagine even her bunch doing this exercise in ink – the Times Crossword maybe, but not this.

I thought the idea sounded fine, in principle, but required too much work, so I went on line and found an Anagram Decoder.

You just plug in the word(s) you want to check – gears grind, sprockets spin and after a few seconds it spits out results. 

My name (I used my full name, Robert Allen Couch) generated 62,501 responses, some of which are pretty cool and some of which make no sense what-so-ever.

Below are what I consider to be my top 15.  I think I like the first one best as a personal description, and since we quit smoking the last one describes my current condition about once a day – certainly more often than I would wish.  Otherwise, here they are in no particular order:

cute cornball hero

carbuncle hole rot

barn hue collector

brutal ochre clone

cable color hunter

cool bleacher runt

buccaneer hot roll

cobra counter hell

bachelor cunt lore

colon ulcer breath

her carbuncle tool

herbal cuter colon

ocelot churn baler

urban creole cloth

tobacco hell rerun

1 comment:

  1. Aw, you're such a cute, cornball hero! And literary we may be, but I'm afraid you have to revise your image of our anagramming - we let the internet do our work for us, too.

    ReplyDelete