Thursday, April 22, 2010

Dining Dilemma

Author’s note: Today’s entry isn’t humorous or even educational. There are no pictures. The content is disturbing, at least to me. So feel free to skip today and tune in tomorrow.

If you do read it though, I invite your comments. I would love to know what you think.

Two weeks ago, while Honey and I were having lunch at a restaurant in Brenham, the table closest to our booth was occupied by a dozen senior citizens on a day trip from a retirement community. They all seemed to be enjoying lunch and generally having a very good time.

Each time I looked up at my wife, over her left shoulder I saw one of the women at the tour group’s table. She was a well dressed, impeccably coiffed, elderly lady whose demeanor exhibited the confidence of someone who has been attractive all her life and was used to being the center of attention.

I know I couldn't keep my eyes off her, but it was not because of her beauty. The lady had no nose; the center of her face from her eyes to her upper lip was just an open hole surrounded by scar tissue.

I didn’t know what to think then, and I still don’t today.

On the one hand, I was impressed by her guts and determination – her refusal to let adversity (I’m assuming some form of cancer.) rule her life. But, on the other hand, I couldn’t help wondering about whether it was acceptable behavior to subject perfect strangers to that sight , particularly at lunch.

Okay, I’ll admit I’m a bit of a wimp. I can't stand to watch sick and starving children or maimed and malnourished puppies on TV, and I resent the Hell out of the SPCA, UNICEF, Save the Children, St. Jude’s Hospital, et al for airing them. They’re all wonderful organizations doing God’s work, but it hurts to see it and they damn well know it does. In that particular field of advertizing, painful equates to effective.

I can’t see or hear Sarah McLachlan anymore without visualizing mistreated animals, and that just ain’t fair.

2 comments:

  1. disturbing yes, but everybody has a right to go out for lunch, even folks without noses. you should have switched seats with mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it didn't keep me from enjoying my lunch, but in retrospect you may be right.

    I know that I've given it a lot more thought than it probably deserves.

    ReplyDelete