Saturday, June 29, 2019

Must Be Jelly

On one of my last trips to the grocery store, I bought a jar of apricot preserves, and at breakfast  the other day  I opened them.  They tasted fine, but my immediate reaction was "That's not preserves, it's jam."  
That put me on an internet search for the definitions and differences between fruit spreads.  Here's what I found:
  • Preserves - fruit, whole or chunks, boiled in sugar water with no jelling agent added.
  • Jam - juice or pureed fruit with or without pectin added.
  • Jelly - juice with pectin (possibly gelatin) added as a jelling agent.
  • Marmalade - basically preserves with the rind added.
I guess the bottom line, though, is if you make it and your name is on the label, you can call it anything you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment