Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Pardon My French

I bought a new gas grill yesterday, and the warranty registration card had a box in the upper right-hand corner for a postage stamp.  Directions were printed in several languages:
  • English - Place stamp here
  • Spanish - Coloque estampilla aqui
  • French - Placez le tampon ici
That last one caught me by surprise.  
I took a year or so of French in college, but I had never come across that before.
A check of a French/English dictionary shows that tampon is a word with multiple uses and meanings.  Like the most common English connotaton, it can mean a feminine hygiene product, but it can also mean a postage stamp or a stamp on your passport, a pad to scrub a pot or to buff the wax on your car.  It also can mean the buffer on your computer printer.


No comments:

Post a Comment