Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Greatly Exaggerated

Recently, I was saddened to learn that the Houston Press had finally bit the dust.  The Press billed itself as the city's largest alternative news source, and was a great place to find articles about food, entertainment, and weird events going on in Houston.  A couple of weeks ago, there  was an article on line saying that, in the aftermath of Harvey, the Press could not survive the loss of revenue and had shut down -  I can't find that story anymore, and don't remember who posted it, but I think it was one of the local TV outlets.
I'm pleased to report that, as Mark Twain said, the reports of its death were greatly exaggerated!  On line, anyway, the Press is still going strong - http://www.houstonpress.com.
Sixty-five years or so ago, my first paying job was delivering the print edition of the Houston Press to homes in Oak Forest every Wednesday afternoon. 
It was a bit of a challenge.  The papers were so heavy, and I was so light that it was hard to keep the front wheel of my bike on the pavement when I first started out.  If my route had covered a few more blocks, I never would have made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment