Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Hangin' In There


With as many trees as we have here at the Boggy Thicket, leaves, twigs and limbs fall all the time, but the one in the picture above has captured my imagination.  
It is small - about 1/2 inch in diameter and about 15 inches long.  It fell from somewhere above and came to rest on a small branch about 7 feet above the ground.  What is so fascinating is that it has stayed there.
I'm not sure how long it has been there, but I first noticed it around Christmas.  Since then El NiƱo has brought a series of thunderstorms with winds in excess of 40 miles per hour, but the little stick is still sitting right where it fell a month ago and shows no sign of leaving any time soon.
It is certainly not the only limb to fall this winter - I didn't notice until I took this picture, but there is a much larger limb caught in the branches of a tree in the lower right center if this shot.  That one is about 5 feet long and about 40 feet up.  Somehow, it is just not as interesting.
I consider this limb to be a bit of a miracle.  The chances of it landing where it is so perfectly cradled by the smaller branch have to be infinitesimal, yet there it is, and there it stays.
There is a little boy inside me that wants to jump up and knock it down, but the rest of me wants to see how long it is actually going to stay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment