Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Talk

My Father’s Day post may be a little odd, but it’s what came into my memory when I sat down to write, so….

My dad was a great guy, literally one of the best people I have ever known, but – except for delivering spankings, etc. - he left my raising pretty much to my mother.  One noticeable exception, and one of the most awkward moments of my life, came when he tried to talk to me about sex.

It was summer.  I was fourteen years old, and helping my dad in his air conditioning business.

We were riding in his truck when he asked me to get him a pack of cigarettes out of the glove box. I opened the glove compartment, and right on top was a big box of Trojan condoms!  He explained in stumbling fits and starts that there were some women who would let you do certain things, and, if you were going to do that, it was probably a good idea to wear protection.

That was it. 

That’s all there was.

He never mentioned sex to me again.

And - I never saw condoms in his possession again. 

I don’t think he was ever unfaithful to my mother – even if he had the inclination, which I doubt – the way he worked, I don’t know how he would have found the time.  I’m almost 100% sure that the condoms were put there as a conversation starter – strictly for my benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment