Tuesday, December 9, 2014

More Horsing Around

I mentioned Sunday that it was a challenge to find the right number to call to report an injured horse in the ditch.  That was a piece of cake when compared to finding the right number to call to get it picked up.

When the sheriff’s deputy shot the horse on Saturday, he told my wife that he would make arrangements to have the horse removed, but, since it was the weekend, that it wouldn’t happen until Monday morning.  When nothing had happened by yesterday afternoon, I called the sheriff’s livestock control office back.  The operator told me that removal was handled by the precinct, but that she would figure out which precinct was involved – a lot more difficult than you might imagine, I may have to do another post about that – and give them a call.

The horse was still there this morning, so I went on a quest, and finally found a direct number to the Precinct 2 Crosby Work Camp, the people actually responsible for picking up dead livestock from roads and ditches in our area. 

The lady who answered the phone told me that they had come by yesterday, but didn’t see the horse.  I explained that a concerned neighbor had covered the corpse with a tarp, but it was definitely still there and even if they couldn’t see it, they could damn sure smell it.

She assured me that they would be back out to get it this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment