Thursday, September 18, 2014

Domestic Abuse

All the recent news about wife beaters in the NFL reminded me of something that I would rather forget.  Years ago, in the first weeks of our marriage, something happened that I have regretted ever since.

It was mid-afternoon, Honey was in class at the University of Houston and I was sitting at the kitchen table reading a book before getting ready to go to work.  When she got home, she quietly came up behind me and gave me a hug.

Startled – I hadn’t heard her come in and thought I was alone – I jumped up and spun around.  My elbow caught her square in the eye and she ended up with a huge shiner.

Of course she cried.  It must have hurt like Hell, but I probably felt worse about it than she did and I’m sure I still do.

I doubt if anybody believed our story about how it happened, and wherever she went, my poor bride carried around the “evidence of domestic abuse” for almost two weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment