Saturday, September 20, 2014

A Better Mousetrap

mouse trap

Oddly enough, even though we live out in the woods, we have never had a problem with mice in the house here at the Boggy Thicket.  In the thirty-plus years we have lived here, I can only recall one time when we thought we might have a mouse. I guess having dogs – and for a while, one cat - living in the house encouraged them to stay away.

Several months ago while our 5th wheel trailer was in for service, the repairman said he thought we might have mice, but we found no evidence to support his claim. 

That is no longer true. 

I went out yesterday to check the trailer and found that mice had eaten large patches of the leather upholstery on one recliner and the matching ottoman.  We have two of each, but so far the other chair and footstool are untouched.  I found no other damage, but that was bad enough.

I went to our local hardware store and bought a bunch of traps.  I got four of the old standard Victor mousetraps, and four of the more modern sticky traps. 

I have never used the sticky traps before, but just from setting them out, I can assure you that they live up to the name.  A mouse that sets foot on one ain’t going anywhere.  The package claims they are humane, but I honestly don’t see how starvation is preferable to a broken neck.

Anyway, I set out four of each type and will let you know which works best.

No comments:

Post a Comment