Friday, December 14, 2012

The Haunted Cabinet

Several years ago, we took took a dining set, table and chairs, to a resale shop.  We got a fair price for them, but while we were there, Honey found a couple of pieces she had to have. 

The first was an old library table that has served us well as a desk in our office. 

The second was what the dealer described as a radio cabinet.  As a teenager, one of my hobbies was rebuilding old console type radios, but none of those even remotely resembled this cabinet. 

It is solid wood, about four feet long, with a drawer at the bottom, open shelves in the center and two louvered doors covering additional shelves on each side.  I suspect that when the piece was being refinished those doors were inadvertently reversed, because it looks to me as if those louvers on the doors are upside-down.  Still, it is a handsome piece of furniture.

It sits beside my bed, and serves as a depository for a lot of miscellaneous junk that I have no better place to stash.

Actually, miscellaneous may be an understatement.  Currently, the contents of the cabinet include:

  • a collection of pocketknives I no longer carry.
  • several Ace bandages
  • A very old bottle of cough medicine
  • several feet of 1/4 inch cotton rope.
  • owner’s manuals for some small appliances.
  • a mortar board cap from our daughter’s high school graduation
  • and quite possibly, a poltergeist!

Last night the cabinet woke me up about 3:00 a.m. by emitting a very loud clunk, and it is not the first time this has happened. 

The first time was in the middle of the night about three years ago. That time I was up for an hour, pulling everything out of the cabinet looking for a clue as to what caused the cabinet to go boom.  After determining that nothing was wrong, I spent the next hour trying to get back to sleep.  The following morning, I went over the cabinet again but could not find anything out of the ordinary.

When it happened again last night, I just muttered something like “It’s that damn cabinet again.” and went right back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment