Thursday, November 8, 2012

One More Earthquake Story

Still no major earthquake in California, and at least one of my regular readers (my wife) has told me it is time to quit writing about it, but there was a major quake in
Central America yesterday.  The magnitude-7.4 quake struck 28 miles southwest of Champerico, Guatemala, near the border with Mexico.

As of this morning, reports say the quake killed at least 48 people with dozens more still missing.  It was felt as far away as San Salvador and Mexico City.  Office workers in Mexico City evacuated their high-rise buildings for a while, and homes and offices in the Guatemalan capitol were also evacuated.

The evacuations in Guatemala City led to one of the best earthquake quotes ever.  A building janitor, Jorge Gamboa, told Reuters (translated into English)  "I was in the bathroom. When I came out the office was empty and I thought, 'what's happening? They didn't even say goodbye.'''

No comments:

Post a Comment