Friday, November 2, 2012

Circling the Square

squaredancing

Honey and I used to square dance and we enjoyed it a lot. 

She started very young – about six – when she went to dances with her parents.  I was eleven when I was asked to join a youth square dance club by the sister of a girl I thought was cute. 

When our kids were little we danced with the North Shore Spinners in East Houston. We later joined three other couples to form our own touring square.  We called our group the Black Sheep, and visited square dance clubs all over southeast Texas. 

Not bragging, but we got pretty darn good – good enough that the Black Sheep often did what we called mirror-dancing, responding to the caller’s instructions in reverse.

taws-squaredancers-sWhen I saw this on line this morning, it reminded me of those Black Sheep days, and it made me wonder -

When the caller yells Do-Si-Do, do Australian dancers circle clockwise?

No comments:

Post a Comment