Thursday, February 10, 2011

Great Customer Service Story

1093-large1

I own and I frequently carry and use a Leatherman brand multi-tool.  I’m not in love with it, but I do think it is an excellent product that often comes in handy.

On a website I check daily, RV.net, a question was asked recently about the pros and cons of various multi-tools.  This was one of the replies;

Posted by: fordsooperdooty


I have a Leatherman PST 2 that I love. "Made in the USA". By real old fashioned craftsmen. Given to me by my deceased Father, who had it engraved with my name.
I carry it every day, where ever I go, and use it constantly. I rarely go a day without instinctively reaching for it and using it on something, even as trivial as trimming a broken finger nail!
As a Cop, I have worn it many years on my Sam Browne along with my holster, handcuffs and mace. Over that time, it has become...to say it mildly..."worn"! And invaluable.
When I accidently leave it home, I miss it!
The tip of the blade had broke off, the scissors no longer worked, etc. All my fault due to the abuses I subjected the poor tool to!
I then remembered that it had a 25 year warranty so sent it off to the Leatherman factory, with a brief note of how much I liked it!
A guy from the factory called me back a few days later, and told me that they didn't make this exact model anymore, and he said he would send me a brand new model of the same type tool. I was a bit disappointed, but said thanks!
2 weeks later I got a box in the mail from Leatherman, and inside was my knife. I mean my original knife, complete with my name still engraved on it!
Enclosed was a note from a guy named Peter...he was a craftsman that had retired from Leatherman a few years ago after working there in Oregon since 1983 when they opened.
Now get this! The note said that Peter had received a phone call from the Leatherman Management explaining how they had received my knife with a note as to how important it was to me, and asked Peter if he would return to work to help them re-make it! He came out of retirement and spent several days making from scratch several parts that were not made anymore. And he carefully and skillfully made it over completely.
I was shocked when I opened that box and saw what appeared to be my original knife model! The knife, when I opened the box, looked exactly as it did when new many years ago. Including my name engraved on it. You could see yourself in that polished stainless steel!
When a Company goes to such extremes to provide a customer with such superb service, above and beyond...then they deserve our business!

 KEEP IT UP LEATHERMAN!

No comments:

Post a Comment