Monday, November 29, 2010

Choctaw, Chickasaw, Cherokee etc.

 

Image23

My maternal grandmother grew up in Groveton, in East Texas.  Her maiden name was Thompson, and I was always told that she was part Indian. 

That’s where things got confusing - my aunt Claire said she was pretty sure that her mother was Choctaw, but it could have been Chickasaw or maybe Cherokee. I could never understand why you wouldn’t know one way or the other; it just didn’t make any sense at all until I came across Chata.org., the website of the Choctaws of Texas.

The website’s genealogy section confirms that, at the very least, my grandmother’s great-grandfather, Willoughby Tullos, was Choctaw.  He was born in Mississippi, but there is confusion on whether his birth  occurred  in the 1830’s or the  1850’s.  He died in Trinity County, Texas in the 1890’s.

The Mt. Tabor Group history on the website solves my confusion over whether we are descended from Choctaw, Chickasaw, or what.  The two groups were so affiliated and intermarried in Texas as to be indistinguishable, and, on top of that, they aligned with the Cherokee for treaties, etc.  No wonder my aunt wasn’t sure.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment