Friday, August 9, 2019

When A Compliment Makes You Sad

I was out running an errand and Honey was sitting under the pergola when the young man came by to read our light meter yesterday.
She said, "Hi. How are you doing." and he said he was fine.
After he read the meter, he stopped and said, "You know, the world needs more people like you and your husband."
She asked him what he meant and he said "Every time I come by here, you always greet me with a friendly word and a smile.  Most places, the people either ignore me or frown and watch me like they think I'm about to steal something. You folks make my day."
She thanked him and he went on his way.
When she told me, we got to thinking about it.  It never occurred to us that we were doing anything special, it was just the way we were raised.  
What a shame it is that common courtesy isn't common any more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment