Saturday, August 17, 2019

Fonda Wisdom

Image result for peter fonda

It was reported that Peter Fonda died yesterday.  
I didn't like his politics, and recently posted about trying to watch Easy Rider and finding it too bad to stay with it more than the first half hour. I do think it is sad that, in what I see as a desperate attempt to  stay relevant, he made that horrible statement about Barron Trump.
But - He did say something on the old Tonight Show that I have remembered for about fifty years.  I tried a search for the clip, but it didn't come up so I'll have to paraphrase.
When Johnny Carson expressed surprise that Fonda was a gun owner, he explained that he was not only a gun owner but also an avid hunter, and that some of his fondest memories of his father were of hunting trips they had taken when he was growing up.
Then he said, "We never hunted for trophies or just for sport. My father had one hard and fast rule - you eat what you shoot."  
He went on to say "I think if that rule was universally applied we could end war."

No comments:

Post a Comment