Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Parsley

I spent the majority of my life convinced that I did not like parsley.  In fact, I considered it to be the most useless vegetable imaginable - then I discovered Italian flat parsley, something I could actually appreciate.
Back in the 60s, when parsley was being used as a garnish on almost every plate at almost every restaurant, I spent several hours at a Howard Johnson's restaurant in St. Paul discussing the idea of starting a business manufacturing reusable plastic parsley.  Yes, a certain amount of alcohol was involved, but we were convinced we were onto something that could make us a fortune.  We even got so far as discussing where to put our factory - Indonesia or Bangladesh - actually still East Pakistan back then. 
Flat parsley in a whole different ball game.  
Rather than tasting like soap, it has a crisp, clean taste that actually adds to salads, etc.  Its only drawback is that it looks a whole lot like cilantro, and you definitely don't want to use one where the other is called for.
A couple of weeks ago, our local Walmart was out of flat parsley, but did have live parsley for sale in little containers.  I bought some, but by the time I got it home it had wilted.  Honey decided to try to save it, and it looks like she may have succeeded.   

No comments:

Post a Comment