Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Results

The votes have been counted and I'm pretty sure there is nobody at all who is totally satisfied with the results.
  • Democrats gained control of the House
  • Republicans increased their majority in the Senate
Ted Cruz held on to his senate seat, but Dems are already talking about Beto for President in 2020.
In what was, to me, the biggest surprise of the night, Harris County Judge Ed Emmett lost to 27 year old political newcomer Lina Hidalgo.  Latest totals have her winning by 49 to 48%, with the remaining votes going to Libertarian Ed Gatlin.
I don't think I ever saw a political ad for Hidalgo, and only one or two for Emmett, so I didn't know anything about her.  She is a naturalized citizen who was born in Colombia, and raised in Peru and Mexico.  She holds degrees from Stanford and Harvard, and was endorsed by several unions and by left-wing groups like the Working Families Party. 

No comments:

Post a Comment