Thursday, January 8, 2015

Canon Rebel(lion)

canon-rebel-xti

As a photographer, I’m definitely an amateur, although I could make a claim to being a professional.

Back in the early 60s, Jay Oliver of KNUZ radio had a very lucrative side business shooting photos of auto accidents which he then sold to attorneys for use in lawsuits.  He set me up with a police scanner for my car, a strobe and battery pack that was almost too big to carry, and a Yashica D camera.  I shot several wrecks for him over a period of a few months.

0893-yashica-d

I wasn’t very good at it. 

To make matters worse, almost all of the police knew and liked Jay, but they didn’t know me, so they often refused to let me get the shots I needed.  I soon decided the whole thing was more trouble than it was worth.

That was the end of my professional career.

For the past seven years or so, I have been shooting pictures for my own enjoyment with a Canon Rebel camera I got right after we retired.  It has been a great camera, but for the past few months the pictures I’ve taken have come out slightly to severely out of focus. I finally took it to the camera store for repairs.

The camera is ready to pick up, and the technician had both good and bad news.  The good news (and the bad) is that he found nothing mechanically wrong.  Either it just needed a good cleaning, or I’m a worse photographer than I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment