Sunday, January 25, 2015

Addicted to Limericks

I have always loved Limericks, and a few years ago (can it really be 2011) I founded a group on Facebook called Addicted to Limericks. At the request of some of our members, we made it a closed group – and while I understand their reasons why (they don’t want their employers to know they are writing poetry while they are on the clock) I feel it has severely limited our growth.

For those who might wonder, here are a few samples of what you are missing:

Got a piece of raw fish on my Plate
It's the one thing that I haven't Ate
I think if you hook It
Then you oughta cook It
Fish that is raw is called "Bait" !!

Or

Said a middle-aged fellow from Dorset
As he tightened the strings on his corset
It holds in my gut
And it accents my butt
And I can look good if I force it

Often our rhymes are topical.  A headline about a lady who had won a free cremation from a local funeral home generated

Lookit me! I won a prize!
Wanna try it on for size
But, to my chagrin
To collect my win
Would require my own demise!....

Or, the first day back after my computer crashed, I wrote

My computer was down for over a week
It left me blind, could not even peek
At any limericks posted here
It left me feeling sad and drear
And mumbling words I should never speak

We have lots of fun – nothing too naughty, but a lot of puns and double entendres – and one poem often leads to another. If you think you might want to join in, let me know.  We are always ready to welcome new members who will actually participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment