Sunday, July 29, 2012

Insult, Part 2

One week ago yesterday, I posted  "Adding Insult to Injury", a rant about the double taxation on tobacco.  This morning I received a comment on that post that was so well done I decided to repost is here.  After all, I doubt that even my most faithful followers go back to look for comments.

The author was anonymous.  I wish I knew who he was so I could thank him personally.  I do wish him well.

Here is what he had to say: 
I guess I have side stepped this situation when I was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2003. I had my first cigarette when I was 14 years old and my last cigarette at 56. Quitting two weeks before my scheduled surgery, I smoked all the way up till midnight and put it out. We have 5 sections of our lungs, 2 on our left and 3 on our right. I had the top section of my right lung removed.
When I was in the service, I could buy cigarettes for 12 cents a pack and joked that I could not afford not to smoke. I am 65 years old now and have saved a ton of money over the last 9 years since I was smoking 2 and sometimes 3 packs a day.
I have said jokingly the cancer cures smoking. Quitting is not easy at all. I had quit twice before, once for 3 years and the second time for 1 year and I will be the last person to berate a smoker for smoking. People say the stupidest things to smokers to try to get them to quit. No amount of nagging will help smokers to make them stop smoking. It is a personal decision that must be reached and made independent of friends and family. I commiserate with those that struggle with it, including my 30 year old son.
A month ago, I asked my doctor about a lump in my stomach, a hernia. I had a hernia operation back in 1981 and thought I knew what this was. I was first sent for a colonoscopy and a c-t scan. I came back shortly and listened to the doctor tell me that they saw a lump on my lower right lung. I was sent for a p-t scan and am now waiting for the results. My wife was with me when the doctor told me. It happened to be our wedding anniversary. She had already lost her first husband due to heart disease and now she was going to have to see how this was going to turn out. Her last ordeal lasted over a period of 9 years.
All I can say is the money saved is not the point for me and it never was. A smoker will bum smokes, give in and buy them, or find the money by not eating or some other way. I did when I put myself though college. The point is now that so many things in my life are damn near perfect; it all might come to an end too soon.
We all must bear the responsibility for our life’s decisions. It’s not about the cost or the taxes. It’s because quitting requires a decision and a commitment, and courage. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Love your life and your friends and family. They love you.
I did not quit, I stopped smoking. It’s a little easier think of it this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment