Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Before and After

Almost 50 years ago, my parents began the process of adopting three kids who were wards of the state.

Boyd Laura James

This picture show the kids, my parents, my wife, and my sister Karen.

Boyd mom dad

Just about the time the adoption was to be finalized, my mother became ill, and it was obvious that she was not going to be able to take care of three children. After many prayers and many tears, it was decided that they would keep the youngest – they named him Boyd, my mother’s maiden name - and the others would be sent to other homes.

We heard from James, the oldest, from time to time, but we never heard from the little girl again.

Just over a month ago, I got a call from Boyd. He was so excited he could barely speak – he had found his sister!

She was living in Bastrop, Texas, and had lost her home in this summer’s fire. Boyd left North Carolina immediately and drove down to meet her. His brother James came down from Kansas, and they were reunited for the first time in 40-plus years.

boyd james laura 2011

My folks were going to call her Laurel, but her new parents changed it to Laura. She still calls Boyd “Troy,” which was his birth name. When Boyd went back home, he took her with him.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Boyd looks better than I remembered (it's been so long since I've seen him)and I love the other pic! Granddaddy & Noni died so long ago & I haven't seen pics of them in just about as long. I copied & saved the pic for myself. It's great to see them young and full of life!!! Luv u daddy!

    ReplyDelete