Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Passed

Back in the Boggy Thicket after a trip to Central Texas for Christmas. 

Like we did at Thanksgiving, we stayed in the 5th wheel in my daughter Cheryl’s back yard. 

We had decided back then that it didn’t make sense to tow the trailer back home when our next trip would be right back to Bertram in a month.  This time, the trailer was there waiting for us,  so all we had to do was load all the presents, clothes, dogs, pillows, etc. into the truck, squeeze ourselves into the front seat and make the four-hour drive. 

We had planned to tow the trailer back when we came home this time, but heavy rains Christmas Eve (the first rain all month) left the yard a little damp.  We could have got out OK,  but might have left ruts in the yard, so we left it. 

All in all, we had an excellent visit, with two full-blown Christmas parties and a quiet  private gift opening thing with Cheryl and Gene.

Christmas 2010

Except that Christmas is a time when we actually see the family, this has nothing at all to do with Christmas

– But -

What do you call members of your steadily extending family?

Gene, who is Cheryl’s husband, is obviously my son-in law, and I can and do still call Jason my son-in-law although Shanna passed away almost five years ago. 

So far, so good – but do I call Gene’s kids my grandkids even though there is no consanguinity? I have, but some would say that they’re not.

How about Jason’s new partner – what should I call her?  Referring to Kelley as “my son-in-law’s wife” just sounds too weird.

I found an excellent discussion of relationship terms on line HERE, but it doesn't  come close to addressing my situation.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment