Thursday, May 6, 2010

Prisencolinensinainciusol

celentano

 

Italian performer Adriano Celentano wrote and sings  a song he created out of nonsense-syllables to sound like he was singing in English.  I had never heard of Celentano until this week but, based on very limited exposure, I like him.  He strikes me as a sort of Roman version of Weird Al Yankovic. 

I also like his song. It is cleverly done, and to my ear sounds a lot like (and is about as easy to understand) as the past fifty years of  British rock bands and  their US born wannabee’s.

He called his masterpiece Prisencolinensinainciusol

In spite of its intent,  Someone went to a great deal of time and effort to put out a version with English subtitles They Did What? 

Either they are exceptionally obtuse, or amazingly clever and the joke is so obscure that it flew right over my head.   I’ll put my money on their missing the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment