Saturday, March 20, 2010

Facebook

Joined Facebook a couple months ago, mostly to have a handy way to keep up with some family events.   Over all, it has been a positive experience –  but there are some things I find disturbing:

  • Some folks post way too much information, way too often.  I have learned much more than I needed to know about some of my family members and friends.
  • At the urging of some common acquaintances, I “friended” another guy I knew, but didn’t particularly like, in high school.  I have discovered that we are so much alike it’s scary.  We mirror each other on everything from politics to religion to taste in movies and music.  We even have similar physical shapes – short and fat.  I wonder if that’s why we didn’t care for each other back then?
  • Facebook is forever!  Shortly after joining, I reconnected with a high-school classmate I hadn’t seen in half a century.  Two weeks later he died, but Facebook still has him going strong.  He appears on my list of friends and as a mutual friend of several folks on my suggested friends list.  I’m not sure I would delete him even if I could figure out how, somehow that just seems wrong, but having his name continually coming up is kind of creepy.
  • Facebook can be addictive.  I check in at least once a day and always seem to find something interesting.

1 comment:

  1. I heard recently that facebook won't actually LET you delete someone's account, even if they die. So be sure your loved ones know your login/password so they can go in and delete your account as "you" after you're no longer able to do so. :)

    ReplyDelete