Saturday, January 30, 2021

Hear Hear

 

I am not profoundly deaf, but my hearing has deteriorated significantly over the years.  

A couple of years before I retired, I bought some very expensive hearing aids.  I never got used to them - my ears were sore by the end of the day - and once I retired, I quit trying.  This has been a point of contention at home, so once a year or so I break them out and try again, but I have never been able to wear them more than a few hours at a time.

Then, something happened.

About five o'clock yesterday morning, I woke up hearing noises outside.  It sounded like a flock of blackbirds had landed in our back yard.  I knew it was still a couple hours until daybreak and the chances of noisy blackbirds outside my window was next to none, so I ignored it and went back to sleep.

Once I got up, I was hearing things I hadn't heard in years. I discussed it with Honey, and she confirms that the things I'm hearing aren't imaginary - she hears them, too.

I have no idea what happened, or how long it will last, but for the last two days my hearing is as good or better than it has ever been.

No comments:

Post a Comment