Saturday, January 23, 2021

Geeked

 

I haven't posted anything for a while because I haven't been on line for days.  My computer developed a really strange problem, and it took almost a week to correct.
To begin with, everything was OK except that I suddenly could not print anything but jpeg files, anything else just produced a blank page.  After working with it for a while, I was able to print pdf files but nothing from Microsoft Office - no Word or Excel, nothing from Outlook.  I finally tried a System Restore, but the computer froze up midway through.
At that point I hauled it in to Best Buy.  Three days and two trips later, I had a computer that printed like it should, the latest version of Windows 10 and the latest version of Outlook.  When I got it home and I discovered that my email would send, but not receive.  That's when I contacted Geek Squad on line.
Over the next two days, I chatted with a half dozen of their techs, and allowed four of them remote access to my computer.  I finally got connected to a guy named Mark who quit trying to connect my email via POP/SMTP and switched to IMAP.  That worked like a charm.
IMAP4 was just coming into use when I retired,  and although I had set up dozens of POP/SMTP accounts over the years, I had never tried IMAP.  Even if it had occurred to me to try it, I'm not sure I would have been able to set it up.
Outlook had always worked before using POP/SMTP - still not sure why it wouldn't connect now.


No comments:

Post a Comment