Monday, August 3, 2020

Hot Spot

I was paying a few bills on line, and for some reason, I decided to check the VISA card that shows up on our bank's website.  
We don't normally do this (or even check the monthly statements) because we have been steadily paying this card off since the last interest rate jump and have not charged anything on the card in over a year.
Imagine my surprise when I found a current $75.00 charge.  
It took a while to locate the source, but it turned out to be ATT Prepay.
Several years ago, we bought an ATT hotspot to access the internet when traveling.  While we were on the road, I would prepay for a month's access at a time.  Somehow that one time, as-needed, charge was switched to an automatic monthly charge, and we have been paying ATT for service we were not using since August 2018.  The charges varied slightly, but average out to about $80.00 per month, for a total approaching $2000.00!
I went to the ATT website and turned the autopay option off, then called the bank to be sure no more charges would be accepted.  I had tried to contact ATT via the website with no luck, but the lady at the bank gave me a number and I was able to contact an actual live person at ATT this morning.
The customer service guy at ATT was extremely nice.  Even though the website has a disclaimer that says no refunds, since we were long-time customers with several other ATT accounts - cell phones, DirecTV - he was able to refund the last three months of charges.  The whole thing still stinks, and I suppose I can't blame anyone but myself, but at least the outcome was better than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment