Sunday, February 17, 2019

Preteen Girls and Tigers

My Friday post got several replies from Shanna's friends, many recalling special friendships and happy times they shared.
Their responses brought to mind a day that was special to me.
When Shanna was ten or eleven, we had a Dodge Caravan, and one day - it may have been her birthday - I took a whole van load of little girls to the Houston Zoo. 
As we walked in the gate, we heard a tremendous ROAR. The tigers were breeding, and tigers are not subtle!
The girls rushed to the tiger enclosure and watched in fascination, impressed as only a group of preteen girls could be.
Eventually, things settled down, and we toured the rest of the zoo.
On the way home, one of the girls let out a roar and the rest collapsed in a laughing fit.  A few miles later, it happened again, and the entire ride home became a series of roars and giggles.
I wonder how many of them remember that day.  I know that I will never forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment