Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Can't Get There From Here

We do almost all of our banking on line, so we run out of deposit slips long before we run out of paper checks.  I could use my phone to process deposits, but I haven't even advanced to the point where I  am willing to make deposits via the ATM, so that means I have to have a supply of paper deposit slips.
I recently ordered deposit slips on line, and when they arrived, Honey noticed that the pre-printed account number was correct, but the routing number - that first eight digit string of numbers on the lower left - was totally different.  I called the bank last Saturday, and the lady I spoke with assured me that the  deposit slips were perfectly fine and would work like they were supposed to.  When I asked her why they had a different number, she said she didn't know, didn't understand it either and, "I work here." 
That satisfied me, but at Honey's urging I called again this morning.  The customer service rep at the bank transferred me to the group that handles orders and printing of checks and deposit slips.  The lady there told me that they always use an alternative routing number on deposit slips and they would work just like the ones in the back of my checkbook.  Again I asked why and her reply was "That's just the way it's done."

No comments:

Post a Comment