Monday, October 1, 2018

Best Laid Grass

I mentioned in several posts this summer about the three pallets of grass we had installed after we put in the pergola.  
I'm sad to say it didn't make it.
I really don't know why.  The grass farm was having mechanical problems with their harvester, and I suspect the grass was cut too shallow - not enough root - but I don't know that for sure. Very hot dry weather followed by days of rain probably didn't help much either.
Whatever the reason, it didn't take long for the grass to show signs that it wasn't thriving as it should have.  We followed the advice of the grass farm, and when that didn't seem to be enough, I went to Randy Lemmon's Garden Line website and followed his advice.  We watered religiously, treated the area with Medina Soil Activator, and even treated once with a root stimulator.
The grass didn't just die, in many areas it decomposed, leaving patches of brown glop where there should be healthy St. Augustine.  The only live grass visible is a few areas of Bermuda which shouldn't have been in the St. Augustine to begin with.
I could have posted a picture, but it's just too ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment