Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Pop Goes the Eardrum

I don't like to complain (actually I do, but only when I can see, or feel the sympathetic touch of, someone actually feeling sorry for me) but tree pollen has been exceptionally bad this year, and I've come up with a symptom that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
My right ear had been popping at random intervals for several days.  It varies from a constant light clicking to loud pops that are almost painful, and they are stealthy - just about the time I think they are over, I'll get a huge pop that is almost like getting slapped up the side of my head.
The symptom is caused by a blocked Eustachian tube. 
I Googled it, and found several suggestions for relieving the problem:
  • Surgery - No thanks.
  • Steroid based nasal sprays - prescription only.
  • Soak in a hot tub with your head under water - I thought this actually worked, but it only lasted until I dried off.
  • Neti Pot - We have one, but I haven't gotten that desperate.
I finally came up with a solution on my own. It ain't perfect, but it's working so far.  Using Q-tips, I put Vicks in my ears and far enough up my nose to actually feel it in the back of my throat. This opened things up long enough for Sudafed to keep things open until it wears off.

No comments:

Post a Comment