Saturday, March 3, 2018

Colonneh

I was not quite thirteen, and extremely active in Boy Scouts, when I was inducted into the Order of the Arrow.  Those of us who lived within the Sam Houston Area Council (greater Houston) area became members of the Colonneh Lodge.  We were told that Colonneh was a Cherokee word for Raven, and the name they gave Houston when he lived with them in Tennessee.
At the time I became a member, there had been a communications issue, and the folks who manufactured the embroidered patches like the one above had spelled Colonneh with one N instead of two.  Those misspelled patches were the only ones available, so that's what I was issued, and it's what I wore on my uniform.
Even then, I had numerous people (mostly scoutmasters and officials) try to buy my patch.  I can only imagine what it might be worth today.
I can only imagine because, once I no longer wore that uniform, my mother gave it (and the Patch) to Goodwill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment