Thursday, November 16, 2017

Asparagus

This post may qualify as T-M-I, so don't say I didn't warn you.
I like asparagus, and for the most part, it likes me.  
If you do too, you already know that within seconds of eating asparagus it changes the odor of your urine - your pee smells like asparagus.  It is amazing how quickly that happens.
What I didn't realize, and should have, is that asparagus is also one of the world's most powerful natural diuretics.  Asparagus contains high levels of the amino acid asparagine, making it a natural diuretic. In other words, eating more of the spears can help flush excess fluid and salt from your body, which may help prevent urinary tract infections. It is also great for helping control blood pressure, etc., but it does have its drawbacks.
It is an old joke, but at my age, throwing an all-nighter means sleeping seven or eight hours without getting up to pee. The asparagus I had for supper last night had me up every hour all night long.  I probably lost three or four pounds between 10 last night and 7 this morning.
Much as I like the stuff, I may have to confine my asparagus consumption to lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment