Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Wi-Fi, oh my

Late posting to my blog today because of an accessibility issue.  Honey and I both connect to a local network and the internet via a Wi-Fi router.  This morning, we could access each other, but lost  internet.

This happens occasionally and has been getting more common. Usually, I can just reboot the Belkin router and things will go back to normal.  When that doesn’t work, a reboot of the DSL modem does the trick, but not today.  Tried rebooting each several times with no luck, then called my provider’s help desk.

Carl at the CenturyLink help desk had me bypass the router and connect Honey’s laptop directly to the modem. The internet was there and available which made me feel stupid for not trying that before I called.  The good news was that our DSL modem is eligible for a free upgrade, and the new one comes with a wireless router built in.  Carl ordered it for me, and it should be here in a couple of days.

Once we got off the phone, I moved the cable back to the router, and everything is back to normal.  Looks like the whole problem was a network cable making a poor connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment