Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Fishy Story

red-tide-fish-in-channelJust ignore the picture for now – It’s here for a reason, and I will get around to it.

Meanwhile, here’s my story for today:

For quite some time, Honey has been taking fish oil capsules as a dietary supplement, and a year or two ago, the vet suggested that we give our dogs fish oil as well.  A few months back, we decided that if it was good for Honey and good for the pups, I probably should be taking it as well.

This past Monday, as we were making breakfast, Honey put my gel-cap on the table.  Without thinking, I popped it into my mouth and attempted to wash it down with a freshly-made cup of coffee.  Freshly made as in HOT – not quite hot enough to scald, but more than hot enough to immediately dissolve gelatin!

When that capsule melts, you are left with 1,000 Mgs of fish oil in your mouth, more than enough to coat every available surface. 

It tasted horrible.

It tasted Fishy. 

It tasted like the shoreline in the picture must have smelled.

It took a major act of will to swallow, but I finally did - only to find that my tongue and palate were still smothered in fish oil.  The taste simply would not go away.  Breakfast, at that point, was out of the question,

I know that you would never do something so foolish, but just in case, I did find an effective first aid treatment for fishy mouth syndrome – lemon juice. 

I grabbed the bottle of  ReaLemon juice out of the fridge and took a swig.  It immediately cleaned the fish oil off my taste buds.  A few sips of water to wash the lemon down, and I was back to normal, or as normal as I have ever been.

Honey thought that I was over-reacting.  She said that the dogs chew their capsules up every morning and consider them a treat. I told her that didn’t impress me much, since these were the same dogs who have been known to eat their own poop.

No comments:

Post a Comment