Friday, February 6, 2015

I Think That I Shall Never See…..

Given the current state of affairs in Mexico, I doubt if I will ever see this in person, but I wish I could.

tule-tree-3[6]

It is a Cypress tree in the town square of Santa Maria del Tule, in the state of Oaxaca, Mexico. 

Known as El Arbol del Tule, this tree was old, and honored by the Aztecs, before Columbus ever stumbled upon the Western Hemisphere.  Depending on measuring methods, its circumference has been estimated at anywhere from 130 to 170 feet, and it takes from 30 to 50 people with their arms outstretched to reach around trunk.  Its average diameter is just over 30 feet, making it bigger than the largest Redwood in California.  It isn’t as tall as the giant Redwoods, but at 130 feet, it towers over everything in the little town.

tule-tree-5[6]

No comments:

Post a Comment