Monday, May 13, 2013

Dingy Debbie

A few miles from home, on FM1495 between the Boggy Thicket and New Caney, there is a small cinder-block building with a sign identifying it as the Casey’s Ridge Civic Club.  I suppose it is possible that the Casey’s Ridge homeowners may actually meet there occasionally, but the truth is the place is a beer joint that has Karaoke Nights and live bands on weekends. 

Several years ago, my daughter Cheryl and I were driving past and noticed a portable sign out front that said

Dingy Debbie

We both started laughing, but for different reasons. 

I read dingy as ding–y, as in ditzy, airhead, etc.  Cheryl read it is dinge–y, as in old Debbie could really use a good bath.  As we compared notes, Cheryl said “Hey, it’s Casey’s Ridge.  Either one applies.”

We laughed all the way home, and when we got there we had a hard time explaining why neither one of us could quit chuckling.

1 comment:

  1. I still think of that from time to time & every time I drive by on my way home to visit! & the chuckles start all over again!!! :)

    ReplyDelete