Friday, March 16, 2012

The Pressure to Produce

garbage-can1

I try to post something on my blog at least once a day, and I come pretty close – 311 posts in 2011, 76 so far this year. I think it helps keep my brain active;  I have to learn stuff so I can pass it on, and I do occasionally post an original thought. 

That daily thing isn’t all that easy – some days I have several stories to choose from, and others really take some effort to find anything worth writing about.

Now I have another deadline to deal with – another stressful demand to produce – and it’s all about garbage.

When we first moved to the Boggy Thicket years ago, we contracted for garbage pick up from a company what consisted of a couple of ladies in a pickup truck.  They faithfully collected our trash every Tuesday morning. Although they (and the price) grew over the years, the service remained the same.

Last year, the owner retired and sold the business to a corporation based in Conroe, Texas.  Their service was terrible, often nonexistent, so a few weeks ago we switched to another company that has been servicing the area for years. 

The new company charges a little bit more – less than $5 per month more – which is okay because they do show up.  They are so punctual you could almost set your watch by the time they arrive.

So, what’s the problem, you might ask. 

The problem is that they come on Tuesday and Friday.  After 30 plus years of once a week pickup, it is a real challenge to produce enough garbage to haul to the street twice a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment