Monday, August 29, 2011

La Mordida

twitter-bribe-300x300

The Boggy Thicket’s closest source for fast food is New Caney, Texas, about eight miles west on FM 1485.

Yesterday, I noticed that we have a new taqueria sandwiched in a strip center between Godfather’s Pizza and Subway.  I’m sure we’ll try it eventually - the closest decent Mexican food is another 10 miles away - but I have some serious reservations. 

The problem is that the owners have named their new place La Mordida.

Now, I am not as fluent in Spanish as I should be, but I do know that from here to Mexico, mordida most commonly means a bribe to a corrupt official. 

Literally, mordida means bite, but it often carries a very negative connotation. Just plug the word into Google image search and you’ll get pictures of sharks, snakes and dogs biting people, and lots of images of people biting people, images of vampires and cannibals.

I have to wonder why they chose that name from all the infinite variety of things they could have named their restaurant.  When I build up my nerve, I guess I’ll have to go find out.

1 comment:

  1. Bob, My Bar-B-Q restaurant in Colorado was named Bum Steer BBQ. I wished that I would have given alittle more thought when I created it!!
    Kirk Dabney

    ReplyDelete