Thursday, January 20, 2022

Photo I D

 

You ought to have to have a photo I D to vote.  There are those who disagree, but they are misguided at best. 

Yesterday's unsuccessful attempt by Senate Democrats to pass a national voting rights bill reminded me of something that happened in November of 2011.  The terrorist attacks on the WTC and the Pentagon had just happened a couple months previously and airport security was disorganized but intense.  Larry Baker and I had been to a Ricoh trainers' conference in Florida and were boarding a flight in Ft Lauderdale on our way home.  Larry had won a mini-Leatherman at the conference and had it confiscated at the gate - that two-inch blade was obviously a weapon.

I thought I was home free.  Then, as we prepared to board the plane, I was pulled aside and taken to another room.  My boarding pass read COUCH ROBERTA and they didn't believe that was my name.  It took two armed guards and a supervisor to finally decide that yes, my middle name was Allen, my middle initial was A and the boarding pass printer probably should have added a space after the T.  I was the last person on the plane, getting on just as the flight attendant was closing the door. 

My first act when I got to the office on Monday was to call American Express and have them drop my middle name from my profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment