Thursday, September 9, 2021

Your Prayers Worked - Mostly

 For those of you who have been wondering about my prayer request - especially those who offered one - they are working!  We're not all the way there, but we're getting close.

Here's what it was all about:

When I logged on Saturday morning, I had an email telling me to contact the Security office at Chase bank, and when I went to my account on line it was locked!

When I got hold of Chase Security, they told me that someone claiming to be me had walked into a Chase bank in Florida and opened a new joint checking account with a woman named Tracy Orlando.  They then began to transfer all the funds from our checking and savings accounts into theirs.

At that point, a Chase computer sent up a red flag, and all of the accounts - theirs and ours - were frozen.  

On the advice of Chase Security, I called the Sheriff's office and filed an identity theft report, but there was nothing else we could do until Tuesday.  I was amazed how long it takes to get a copy of the incident report - Chase Security wants it, but the clerk at the Sheriff's office says it may take up to two weeks.

We were at the bank shortly after they opened on Tuesday and the bank officer who helped us was able to free up most of our money, and assured us that we would get the rest after the investigation is complete.

That's the good news.  The bad news is that we had to get a new account number and have to notify everyone who did drafts from or direct deposit into our account.  She was able to do some of that at the bank, and we spent six hours on line, on phone and fax doing the rest yesterday.

We also had to get new debit cards which we'll receive in the mail.  I am so used to using mine that I feel strangely naked walking around without one.

In a really ironic twist, when we got home from the bank on Tuesday, I found this email waiting in my in box:

Dear Robert Couch,

Thank you for being a valued Chase customer. Would you please tell us about your recent banking experience?

Your three minutes answering our survey will help us make lasting improvements for you and other Chase customers.

Within the last week did you visit the Bryan Dairy and Starkey branch at 10755 Starkey Rd in Largo?

 

 
Thank you,

Joseph A. Garcia
Director, Customer Experience

I haven't replied.  I afraid my opinion might melt the world wide web.


No comments:

Post a Comment