Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Ms. Orlando

 A couple weeks ago, I posted about a couple of folks in Florida, a woman calling herself Tracy Orlando and a man claiming to be Me.  They opened a joint checking account at a Chase bank, and started transferring all the money out of our accounts here in Texas.  

A Chase computer detected something fishy and Chase Security froze all of the accounts - theirs and ours - until they could figure out what had happened. 

Well, halleluiah!  They got it right, and all of our funds have now been restored.  

We had to set up new accounts with new account numbers, get new debit cards, and notify everybody who sent us money by direct deposit or charged us via automatic drafts.  We also had to do an identity theft report with the Harris County Sheriff's office and deliver a copy of that report to the bank.

I ought to be happy, and I guess I am, but I've learned that the culprits will not be charged! 

I had hoped they would be flayed, drawn and quartered, boiled in oil, but they won't even get a slap on the wrist.  I can't charge them because I got my money back, and the bank will not. I think if the modern equivalent of the Daltons or the James gang cleaned them out, they wouldn't even put together a posse.

You see, banks work hard at portraying themselves as places you can feel safe and confident storing your assets.  They would rather take a loss than suffer the bad publicity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment