Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Sarge and Tulsa

 

When I was in elementary school, my folks had some good friends known as Sarge and Tulsa. 
Sarge worked with my dad and we often visited each other's homes for bar-b-cues, and even spent one week with them camping on Padre Island.  Once my Dad went into business for himself, he and Sarge  had a falling out - something work related - and I never saw them again.
Sarge was not a handsome man, in fact he was downright ugly.  Tulsa was a tall and lanky, rawboned woman, and maybe the only person on the planet with more acne scars than Sarge.  They might not have been the least physically attractive couple on earth, but they were in the running.
I mention this because, miraculously, they were the parents of the most beautiful baby I had ever seen - a child who grew into a gorgeous toddler.  This was a few years before the creepy beauty contests for pre-adolescent girls that blossomed in the 60s, but if they had been around, I have no doubt this kid could have been Little Miss Universe, or whatever.  She would have wiped the floor with the competition.
As far as I know, they only had the one child.  I guess anyone who hit the jackpot in the big gene lottery - especially if you looked like Sarge and Tulsa - might be hesitant to try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment