Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Phone Home

 


Ok, so this year my "daily" blog has been more like "once in a while."

Today, I'm posting twice.  Just because.


Honey's cell phone had been acting a little wonky lately, and we'd seen an AT&T ad on television hyping their 5-G coverage.  The ad offered a free Samsung phone for all new and existing customers.

Too good to be true?  You bet your buttons.

When I called the closest ATT store, they claimed to have no idea what I was talking about.  They also said they couldn't access my records based on a phone call, but that I could find out what was available by calling 611 (ATT Customer Service) on my cell phone.

That worked well.  

I was put on hold for over five minutes twice, and each time disconnected before I ever got to talk to a live human.  I finally loaded up our phones and went to the ATT store.

I first learned that our old phones were too old to have any trade in value, and the best offer I could get was for a pair of Samsung Galaxy phones for an additional six bucks per phone per month. I didn't like it, but I said OK, only to learn they didn't have the phones in stock.  Grrrrrr.

The Humble, TX store did have the phones, so I went there to pick them up.  Then the clerk told me that she could not transfer all our info from the old phones to the new ones - something they have always done in the past! 

Once I got the phones home, I was able to download an App that let me transfer the data.  That sounds easy enough, but I had to download and install the app on all four phones then get the phones on our wi-fi network then scan the QR code on the old phone to load the data to the new one.  The entire process, with glitches and all took a little over four hours.

Now we just have to learn how to navigate phones whose screens are nothing like the old LG phones we had been using.

No comments:

Post a Comment