Monday, August 31, 2020

Leave Well Enough Alone

 Remember all that stuff we bought to get ready for the hurricane?

  Well, thank goodness we didn't need it - we hardly got any rain at all and no wind to speak of.  That, of course, was a good thing, but it left us with a couple of pallets of stuff taking up space in our garage and no good way to move them.


I have a platform that mounts on my tractor's 3-point hitch. I installed it on the tractor, and after several fits and starts I was able to load the pallet of sand on the platform.  Before I got it moved to the barn though, the darn thing shifted and dumped bags of sand all over.  I got what was still on the pallet into the barn, and spent several hours over a couple of extremely hot days rounding up the rest and re-stacking it on the pallet.

That left the pallet of cider blocks.  It was pretty obvious I wasn't going to get that on the platform - and that platform had already proved to be unreliable at best - so I just ran a chain under the pallet and towed it out of the garage. That got the pallet out of the garage, across the driveway, and into the side yard before the chain pulled loose.

I should have stopped right there - the pallet wasn't really in the way - but not me, boy. 

I drilled holes in two of the support boards on the pallet, threaded my chain through , hooked up and started again.  

Honey says she was yelling at me the whole time to stop, but all I heard was the revving tractor engine.  By the time I got the pallet where I wanted it, I had a string of 30 or 40 cinder blocks trailing along behind.  

It is currently 93⁰, with a heat index of 105, so those cinder blocks are a task for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment